The Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme for SC students of Class IX and X is an initiative taken for the students that are studying in classes 9 and 10 and belong to the Scheduled Caste category. The scheme was launched to provide financial assistance to eligible students in order to decrease the dropout rates.
Objectives of the scheme
Some of the main aims of launching the Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme for SC students of Class IX and X are mentioned below:
- In order to improve participation of Scheduled Caste children in classes 9 and 10 of the pre-matric stage, so that they have the chance to perform better and have a chance of progressing to the post-matric stage of education.
- In order to support parents of Scheduled Caste for the education of their children studying in classes 9 and 10 so that the occurrence of drop out, especially in the transaction from the elementary to the secondary stage is substantially reduced.
The applicant should meet the following eligibility criteria in order to avail themselves of the benefits of the Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme for SC students of Class IX and X
- The students must belong to Scheduled Caste
- The parents of the student should not have an income exceeding Rs 2 lakh per year
- The student should not be getting any other centrally-funded pre-matric scholarship
- The student must be a regular, full-time student that is studying in a government school or in a school recognised by the government or a state/central board of secondary education
- The scholarship will be available for studying in any class for only one year. In case a student has to repeat a class, he or she would not get a scholarship for that class for the second year.
Benefits of the scheme
The selected students will get to enjoy the following benefits of the Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme for SC students of Class IX and X
- Books and ad-hoc grant
Day scholars will be receiving Rs 750 per annum, whereas hostelers will be receiving Rs 100 per annum
The day scholars will be receiving Rs 225 every month for a duration of 10 months in an academic year, whereas, hostelers will be receiving Rs 525 every month for a duration of 10 months in an academic year
The payment of scholarship by the Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme for SC students of Class IX and X details are given below:
- The scholarship is payable from 1st April or the month of admission, whichever date is later, to the month in which the examinations are completed, at the end of the academic year, only if the scholar secures admission after the 20th day of the month, the amount will be paid from the month following the month of admission
- In the case of renewal of scholarship, it will be paid from the month following the month up to which scholarship was paid in the year prior to the year in question
- The state/central government or Union Territory administration to which the applicant belongs, in accordance with the procedure given by them in this regard, will pay the scholarship money to the selected candidate.