The Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN (Jaiv Indhan- Vatavaran Anukool Fasal Awashesh Nivaran) Yojana is a scheme that was recently approved by the Cabinet Committee of Economic Affairs (CCEA) in February 2019. It was passed to assist and increase the use of bio-fuel as a step towards a greener India.
It also aims to provide financial assistance to Integrated Bio-ethanol Projects which uses lignocellulosic biomass and other renewable energy sources. This scheme was launched as a part of the EBP program that was implemented in the year 2003. The CHT or Central High Technology is given the responsibility to overlook the Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN Yojana. It was structured in such a way that it was to be implemented in two phases over a period of time.
Objectives of the Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN Yojana
Some of the main objectives of the Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN Yojana implemented are stated below:
- The government of India launched the Ethanol Blended Petrol, EBP, Programme in 2003 in order to encourage the blending of ethanol in petrol
- Under the EBP program, OMCs or Oil Marketing Companies were advised to blend 10% of ethanol in petrol. The ethanol mixed was to be obtained from molasses and non-food feedstock like cellulosic and lignocellulosic material that includes petrochemical substances.
- The objective of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas is to achieve 10% ethanol blending by the year 2022. However, after numerous efforts, the government of India was able to achieve ethanol procurement of approximately 150 crore litres in the year 2017-18. This 150 crore litre was the highest ever procurement of ethanol which accounts for around 4.22% blending pan India. Therefore, in order to bridge the gap, the Ministry started paying more attention to exploring alternative ways to promote ethanol blending. For this reason, the Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN Yojana was launched.
- It also addresses the environmental issues caused due to the burning of fossil fuels, subsidises crude imports, provides income to farmers and achieves foreign exchange savings.
- Not only does it create ethanol capacity in the country but also attract eager investments in this nascent sector.
Benefits of the Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN Yojana
There are a number of advantages of the Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN Yojana. Some of them are as follows:
- The Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN Yojana will help to reduce import dependency by replacing fossil fuels with biofuels.
- The scheme also throws light on the ongoing environmental issues caused due to burning of crop residues, etc.
- It also increases farmer income by providing them remunerative income for otherwise waste agricultural residues.
- It will help in achieving targets of reducing GHG emissions through progressive blending or substitution of fossil fuels.
- The Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN Yojana will also help in generating employment opportunities in both urban and rural sectors of societies in these Ethanol projects
- This will indigenise second-generation biomass to ethanol technologies.
- The Pradhan Mantri JI-VAN Yojana is a crucial step towards Swachh Bharat Mission since it supports biofuel usage and ethanol projects.