The Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana or PMGKY was launched by the Government of India where it allowed individuals to deposit money that is not taxed. Over here, the government mandated for the people to pay 50% of the untaxed amount.
The PMGKY came into effect in the year 2016 and in the beginning, the scheme was valid from December 2016 to March 2017. Later on, the government extended this PMGKY scheme to June 2020, which was further extended to November 2020.
In order to avail of the benefits of the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana, the individuals must be:
- From different sectors of society, including migrant workers, rural and urban poor, farmers and women
- A healthcare worker or professional
- Low wage-earning employees
- Small establishments that have up to 100 employees
As already stated, the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana came into existence to get a hold of black and corrupt money from tax evaders. Here. the government allows individuals to disclose their undisclosed assets, which would be helpful to resolve the country’s income equality issue. Since the scheme extended to November 2020, the government decided to include relief packages in order to support and help the livelihood of the underprivileged during the pandemic and lockdown.
In order to register for the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana, the individual must follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Visit the official website of the Press Information Bureau
- Next, look for the PMGKY option and click on it
- Fill in the bank account and other details as per the requirements in order to complete the registration process
- Lastly, take a printout of the form for future reference
The below-mentioned steps are a guide to applying for the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana
- Go to the official website of the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan package
- Download the application form and put in all the required details like address and other essential information
- Click on the submit button
Coverage and premiums
The insurance scheme is a part of Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana, which targets Health Workers battling the Pandemic. The PMGKY scheme also covers Government-insured healthcare professionals that are treating the patients as well.
According to the scheme, the families of these healthcare professionals will get Rs 50 lakh in case of accidental death while serving covid-19 duty. It covers almost 22 lakh health workers combating covid-19.
Individuals that are eligible for this insurance scheme include public healthcare providers like:
- Community health workers
- Private hospital staff
- Local urban bodies
- Daily wage
- Outsourced staff
The eligibility list includes other types of employees as well:
- ASHA workers
- Ward boys
- Specialists and other health workers
- Safai karamcharis