The North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme or NESIDS was sanctioned by the Government of India in order to focus on those projects that are related to infrastructure creation concerning water supply, connectivity and power generation, and therefore, promoting tourism. It even focuses on the social infrastructure of the primary as well as secondary sectors of education and health.
Under the North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme, 100% of the fund is provided centrally by the State governments of the North Eastern Region for the projects of physical infrastructure. The scheme will focus on the exploitation of the giant tourism potential of the area by way of strengthening the related infrastructure and will also give emphasis on the creation of an infrastructure of social sectors like education and health.
Only those projects will be receiving funding under the North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme that are not beneficiaries of any other scheme of the central or state government.
Objectives of the scheme
The primary objectives of the North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme are listed below:
- To make sure the focused development of the North East Region by providing financial support to assist projects related to the following topics:
- Projects that encourage tourism
- Physical infrastructures with respect to water supply, connectivity and power generation.
- Social sector for the development of infrastructures in the primary and secondary sectors of health and education.
The North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme will be considered to be over and above the existing schemes of the Government of India and the state governments of the North East Region. Only those projects that are assisted by any other scheme of the central and state government would be considered for funding under this scheme.
Disbursement of Funds
The following process is the way by which funds are approved and disbursed for the implementation of projects under the North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme.
- Implementation of the project will be released to designated agencies with the help of the state government treasuries. This will be executed under the particular dispensation order of the Ministry of Finance.
- The Ministry of Development of the North East Region or DoNER will release funds in two instalments. The first one will have 40% of the total allocated funds for the project and the remaining 60% will be disbursed after reviewing the progress of the first instalment
- The state government will have a PFMS portal installed at the state level and have their treasury linked to the same of the ministry of DoNER. This is done in order to track funds that have been released under the North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme.
- At the time of financial And administrative sanctioning, a token amount of Rs 10 lakh will be released by the Ministry of DoNER. This amount would be a part payment of the first instalment in order to initiate the tender formalities and for the state government to finalise the same. After doing so, the state government will be required to approach the Ministry with a copy of the project work order and letter that leaves the release of the remaining amount of the first instalment of funds.