Skill Upgradation & Mahila Coir Yojana (MCY)

Share On: Whatsapp

The Skill Upgradation and Mahila COir Yojana (MCY) Scheme was implemented in 2017-2018 to 2019-2020. It consists of two components being Skill upgradation and the Mahila Coir Yojana. It is a mixture of schemes that have been applied in coir producing regions of India that include West Bengal, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Goa, Lakshadweep, Gujarat, Telangana, and many more. The skill up-gradation scheme is one of the critical ones under the Scheme Coir Vikas Yojana that provides development chances for foreign and domestic markets, training and development and skill development, women empowerment, better utilization of raw material, and welfare activities for coir workers.


  1. Transform non-traditional areas into tech-advanced units by skill development of workers.
  2. Categorize workers into potential Supervisors/advisors/artisans and instructors to train them accordingly to produce skilled manpower for coir industry development.
  3. Categorize workers into potential Supervisors/advisors/artisans and instructors to train them accordingly to produce skilled manpower for coir industry development.
  4. Contribute to the generation of employment in rural areas for states that produce coconuts.
  5. Under the Entrepreneurship Development Programmes, motivate both traditional and non-traditional entrepreneurs to enter the coal industry for manufacturing and trade purposes to boost the industry to new avenues.
  6. Create awareness in existing units that better efficiency, productivity, and quality is possible to better their earnings.
  7. Assist the trained women artisans to procure spinning equipment/ coir processing machinery from the PGMEGP
  8. To set in a sense of quality control, work environment and eliminate the monotony involved in traditional methods of spinning and manufacturing of products.

Training under the Scheme

  1. Training of the personnel would also include the maintenance of the unit and the repair charges.
  2. Training will only be available in the regions where coir production takes place and units have been established.
  3. The training focus under the scheme would be on weaving, rural training, and field training.

Assistance provided under the Scheme would be:-

  1. Motorized Electronic Ratt– It is a 75% subsidy with the upper limit of Rs. 3,200. The further 25% contribution is in the form of Machinery.
  2. Electronic Ratt- It has the same subsidy contribution as that of the motorized electronic Ratt.
  3. Motorized Ratt- It provides a 75% subsidy with the upper limit of Rs.7500 and the rest 25% in the form of machinery contribution.

The additional subsidies that are provided –

The list of machines that the Coir Board has officially signed off on are bleaching unit, coco pole, brush making units, willowing machine, coir pith compost unit, matting unit, pot making unit, coir handicraft manufacturing unit, manual dyeing, cotton handloom stitching machine, geotextiles machine, and molded articles machine.

Application Process under the Scheme

  1. An outline that describes the cost, machine sourcing, agenda specifications should be prepared and submitted
  2. An exclusive bank account for MCY transactions should be opened by the Regional Office ( RS) or the Sub-regional office.
  3. An account in the post office needs to be opened
  4. Machinery contribution in the form of deposit money needs to be made in that very account.

After a complex process of part applications and part approvals, the matter of approval is finally decided upon by the Chairman of the Coir Board, and the CCRI/ CICT officials will help along in the process related to the accounting wing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *