The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwal Yojana is a welfare scheme that was launched by the Prime minister of India on the 1st of May 2016. Under this scheme, the government of India aims to provide LPG connections to households that are living below the poverty line in your country. The main objective of the scheme is to replace the unclean cooking fuels that are mostly used in households of rural India with clean and more efficient LPG.
Under the Union Budget for the Financial year of 2021-22, the provision for the release of an additional 1 crore LPG connections under the PMUY scheme was made. Special facilities have been given to migrant families in this phase.
Objectives of the scheme
Some of the main objectives of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwal Yojana are given down below:
- Reducing the serious health risks associated with cooking based fossil fuels
- Preventing children from a significant number of respiratory illnesses that are caused due to indoor air pollution by burning fossil fuels
- Empowering women and protecting them from health hazards
- Reducing the number of death or near-death encounters in India due to unclean cooking fuel.
The identification of eligible BPL families will be made on the basis of SECC-2011 data. However, the basic eligibility criteria of the scheme are listed below:
- The applicant should be a woman who is above the age of 18 years
- The applicant’s name should be in the list of SECC-2011 data
- The applicant must be a beneficiary of PMAY-G
- The applicants should have a BPL Ration card
- The applicant must be a beneficiary of IAY or Antyodaya Anna Yojana
- The applicants should have a savings bank account in any of the nationalised banks across India
- The applicant’s household should not be on an LPG connection in anyone’s name
You can find the detailed eligibility criteria of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwal Yojana here
The applicant should have the following list of documents and possession while applying for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwal Yojana:
- BPL Ration card
- BPL certificate which is authorised by the Panchayat Pradhan/ municipality chairman
- One recent passport size photograph
- One photo ID in the form of Aadhar Card, Voter ID etc.
Application for the scheme
The women who are eligible candidates from BPL families can apply for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwal Yojana by filling up the application form in the prescribed format.
Candidates that are interested are required to fill out the 2-page application form along with attaching the required documents along with the form. basic details like name, contact details, bank account number, Aadhar card number, etc., are required to be filled in. the applicants so have to mention the requirement of cylinder type, that is, 14.2 kg or 5 kg
Under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwal Yojana, an adult woman belonging to the following categories are considered an eligible beneficiary under the expanded scheme:
- ST households
- SC households
- Most backward classes
- Forest dwellers
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
- Antyodaya Anna Yojana
- Tea and ex tea garden tribes
- Poor household as per 14-point declaration
- People residing in islands and river Islands
- SECC households